Tuesday, July 30, 2013

the end of an era

It was a dream that started with the two hangtags pictured above - the first two Roxy hangtags from the first pieces of Roxy clothing I ever purchased, somewhere around the age of 12. They hung on the wall in my bedroom for years, as I stared at them hoping to one day be one of those girls, on that beach, tan and surfing and happy. Then I begged for that ring for Christmas (1997ish?) and wore it every day. In '99 I wrote Roxy a letter, telling them how much I loved them and what a huge fan I was, and they sent me back the most beautiful envelope full of stickers. These five items were daily visual reminders for me to pursue my dream of becoming a 'Roxy Girl' and to get my DREAM JOB at Roxy as a graphic designer (which I did in 2008, almost 10 years later!). After a surfboard design contest, the making of some best friends, tons of free clothes (so happy I was sample size!), trips around the world, photo shoots and catalog designing, hours and hours and hours of photoshop, afternoon dance parties, lunchtime surf sessions, more photoshop, and five long, amazing years, I made the decision a few weeks ago to move on to pursue some creative projects of my own (more on that to come!). It was an amazing ride - I worked on so many great projects with tons of inspiring people, and learned more than I could have ever imagined. Even though I am moving onto bigger and better, more creative things (who would have thought anything could be better than Roxy?! I definitely didn't for many years...), there will always be a huge spot in my heart for this brand I have loved for so so so long. But one of the most important things I am coming away with is that I don't need to work at Roxy to still live the lifestyle this brand represents - I will be embracing this lifestyle even more now, surfing, spending hours at the beach, being adventurous, creative, and artistic... It's the end of an era, but the start of an even better one. Thanks for everything Roxy!

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear that you're still moving in a direction that you love! I always love seeing the creative things you come up with. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck becca! you are off to bigger, better things. :)

    ReplyDelete