Sunday, June 20, 2010

International Surfing Day 2010


Today is International Surfing Day, and lucky me I get to spend it in beautiful Kona, Hawaii. This is a day to encourage people to clean up and take care of their beaches and to get out and enjoy some waves. Although I wasn't able to surf today (there really isn't much swell here on the Big Island right now), I did try paddle-boarding for the first time, and I am in love. I have a new found appreciation for those paddle boarders, because man is it harder
than it looks. But it is such a great core workout and a way to enjoy beautiful views and check out the ocean. We were lucky enough to have a group of small dolphins follow us around, showing off with their tricks of flips and dives. It was amazing. I can't wait to try it again tomorrow!

I saw the poster for International Surfing Day hanging in the window of a few of the local su
rf shops here... I loved the art and discovered it was done by artist and designer Erik Abel. A few more of his pieces I love are shown below. Check out his site to see more of his work... he also has a great blog about his surf travel adventures, his inspiration, and art.

No comments:

Post a Comment